RE: Connection problems

From: "fud fudmore" <listkeeper23(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Paul-AndrePanon(at)SierraSystems(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Connection problems
Date: 2001-01-11 00:11:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

>From: "Panon, Paul-Andre" <Paul-AndrePanon(at)SierraSystems(dot)com>
>To: 'mall' <listkeeper23(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Connection problems
>Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:01:01 -0800
>
>If you installed the Mandrake rpm for postgres, I believe that by default
>it
>only accepts connections over UNIX pipes, not TCP/IP. You need the latter
>support jdbc.
>
>To check whether the postmaster backend accept connections over TCP/IP, try
>connecting to it with the command
>psql -p 5432 papers apprentice
>
>If you get a connection error on the above command, you need to modify the
>startup script for postgres. edit /etc/rc.d/init.d and add the -i flag to
>the postmaster command.
>
>P-A

I did fix the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres script to include the -i
parameter to start postgres. After that i was able to connect by
using this commandline.

unix_shell>psql -p 5432 papers apprentice

but when i ran my program again it threw the same exception ... I'm abit
confused at this point. if the jdbc driver was using port 5432 as the
default port to connect to then why didn't it throw an exception about not
finding a socket before i added the " -i" option.