Re: role self-revocation

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: role self-revocation
Date: 2022-03-07 20:09:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mar 7, 2022, at 12:03 PM, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Right, but with a reflexive self-admin-option, we could document that it works in a non-inherited way. We'd just be saying the current hard-coded behavior is an option which can be revoked rather than something you're stuck with.

We could also say that the default is to not have admin option on yourself, with that being something grantable, but that is a larger change from the historical behavior and might have more consequences for dump/restore, etc.

My concern about just nuking self-admin is that there may be sites which use self-admin and we'd be leaving them without a simple work-around after upgrade, because they couldn't restore the behavior by executing a grant. They'd have to more fundamentally restructure their role relationships to not depend on self-admin, something which might be harder for them to do. Perhaps nobody is using self-admin, or very few people are using it, and I'm being overly concerned.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company