Re: Time to drop plpython2?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Date: 2022-03-07 20:05:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Now that the BF has stabilized, I've rebased and cleaned up the patches I'd
> posted earlier. Attached for the first time is my attempt at cleaning up the
> docs.

I looked through this quickly, and have a couple of nitpicks. The
PGFILEDESC value for jsonb_plpython is worded randomly differently
from those for hstore_plpython and ltree_plpython. I think we should
make it match those. I also noted a couple of typos in the docs patch.
See attached delta patch (I named it .txt in hopes of not confusing
the cfbot).

I kind of wonder if we still need "46.1. Python 2 vs. Python 3" at
all. It certainly doesn't seem like it still deserves its position
of honor as the first subsection. Perhaps move it down to be the
last subsection?

Also, grepping reveals that vcregress.pl still has two stray references to
"plpythonu". I did not touch that here, but maybe that has something
to do with the ci failure?

> I did so far leave in the "major version conflict" detection stuff in
> plpy_main.c - that could again be useful? I'm leaning towards removing it, I'd
> hope that there's not again such a painful transition, and we have the git
> history if needed.

I think we should leave it in. I foresee that somebody will want to build
plpython2u as an out-of-core extension, at least for a few years yet.
If they do, and the core language does not have its half of that guard,
it'd be bad.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0005-fixups.txt text/x-diff 2.7 KB