Is it possible to redirect an update/insert/delete to a different table?

From: Andy Ballingall <andy(at)areyoulocal(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Is it possible to redirect an update/insert/delete to a different table?
Date: 2005-11-20 00:27:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

Is there a way that I can specify that a request to change to a particular
table is redirected instead to a different table?

I've looked through rules, and as far as I can make out, they are only
useful for explicit actions. I'm looking for something that behaves as
though it simply substitutes the table name for a different table name
before executing the command, no matter what the command looks like.

Thanks

Andy Ballingall