Re: Another swing at JSON

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another swing at JSON
Date: 2011-06-16 21:29:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On 29. März 2011 21:15:11 -0400 Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thanks. I applied a minor variation of this trick to the JSON module,
> so now it builds/installs/tests cleanly on both REL8_4_0 and HEAD
> (though it won't work if you copy contrib/json into a pre-9.1
> PostgreSQL source directory and type `make` without USE_PGXS=1).
>
> I also went ahead and renamed uninstall_json.sql to
> json--uninstall--0.1.sql (again, it's for pre-9.1 users) and removed
> unnecessary trailing spaces.
>
>> Anything going into the PostgreSQL code base will be for 9.2, so
>> anything else would be a separate (if somewhat related) project. I
>> suspect the code will be a good deal cleaner if you do just the 9.2+
>> version and see who wants it back-patched, if anyone does :)
>
> It's a trivial matter to remove backward compatibility from
> contrib/json, if anybody wants me to do it. I can just remove
> compat.[ch], */init-pre9.1.* , remove the PREFIX_PGVER trick from the
> Makefile, remove a few lines in the source code, and maintain the
> backported json module elsewhere. It's just a matter of whether or
> not explicit backward-compatibility is desirable in modules shipped
> with releases.

I started looking into this. A very minor adjusted patch to filelist.sgml was
required to apply the patch cleanly to current -HEAD (attached).

After reading Joseph's comment upthread, I don't see any consensus wether the
existing pre-9.1 support is required or even desired. Maybe i missed it, but do
we really expect an extension (or contrib module) to be backwards compatible to
earlier major releases, when shipped in contrib/ ?

--
Thanks

Bernd

Attachment Content-Type Size
json_contrib_cleaned.patch.gz application/x-gzip 18.1 KB