Re: pg_upgrade: Make testing different transfer modes easier

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade: Make testing different transfer modes easier
Date: 2022-12-14 09:40:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 14 Dec 2022, at 08:04, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 07.12.22 17:33, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think if we want to make this configurable on the fly, and environment variable would be much easier, like
>> my $mode = $ENV{PG_TEST_PG_UPGRADE_MODE} || '--copy';
>
> Here is an updated patch set that incorporates this idea.

I would prefer a small note about it in src/bin/pg_upgrade/TESTING to document
it outside of the code, but otherwise LGTM.

+ $mode,
'--check'
],

- '-p', $oldnode->port, '-P', $newnode->port
+ '-p', $oldnode->port, '-P', $newnode->port,
+ $mode,
],

Minor nitpick, but while in there should we take the opportunity to add a
trailing comma on the other two array declarations which now ends with --check?
It's good Perl practice and will make the code consistent.

--
Daniel Gustafsson https://vmware.com/