Re: Slow connections from Windows to Linux

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques(dot)le(dot)roux(at)les7arts(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow connections from Windows to Linux
Date: 2005-11-16 13:37:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Jacques Le
Roux
Sent: 16 November 2005 12:53
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Slow connections from Windows to
Linux

I was using the previous pgAdmin version (the one packed with
Postgres 8.0) on Windows (both 2k and XP). I'm now using the 1.4.0
version. I'm mainly using it to connect from Windows to an Ubuntu Hoary
server with PostGres 1.4 on. Previously I encountered very fast
connection when opening the database server. Now it's very slow (some
minutes) and the postmaster task on server is using a lot of CPU
ressources. Any idea ?

Are you using SSL where you weren't previously? Or perhaps logging in
pgAdmin (not that that should affect the server's CPU) or PostgreSQL has
been set to a very verbose level?

If those are not the issue, then as Andreas says, please try to figure
out more about what the server is actually doing.

Regards, Dave