Re: Slow connections from Windows to Linux

From: Jacques Le Roux <jacques(dot)le(dot)roux(at)les7arts(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Slow connections from Windows to Linux
Date: 2005-11-16 17:47:55
Lists: pgadmin-support

From: Dave Page
To: Jacques Le Roux ; pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Slow connections from Windows to Linux

From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Jacques Le Roux
Sent: 16 November 2005 12:53
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org

I was using the previous pgAdmin version (the one packed with Postgres 8.0) on Windows (both 2k and XP). I'm now using the 1.4.0 version. I'm mainly using it to connect from Windows to an Ubuntu Hoary server with PostGres 1.4 on. Previously I encountered very fast connection when opening the database server. Now it's very slow (some minutes) and the postmaster task on server is using a lot of CPU ressources. Any idea ?

Are you using SSL where you weren't previously? Or perhaps logging in pgAdmin (not that that should affect the server's CPU) or PostgreSQL has been set to a very verbose level?

If those are not the issue, then as Andreas says, please try to figure out more about what the server is actually doing.

Regards, Dave

Just trying, using SSL or not is the same : I can't reproduce the problem no more, it's as quick as with previous version. Perhaps something else was involveld. If the problem reappears I will try Andreas suggestion...

Thanks for you Help both :o)

Jacques