Re: pgAgent setup

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Paolo Saudin" <paolo(at)ecometer(dot)it>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAgent setup
Date: 2005-10-25 07:56:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Paolo Saudin
Sent: 24 October 2005 19:02
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] pgAgent setup

Hi,
I've installed the latest PostgreSQL release, 8.1-beta4 with
default settings.
I installed the 'pgagent.sql' script and the service with the
following command :
pgAgent INSTALL pgAgent -u postgres -p postmaster
hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=postgres user=postgres

windows user (created during the installation process)
user= postgres
password = postmaster
postgresql user
user=postgres
password=postgres

I run the service with no errors.
I then created a job to fill a table with the current date and
time as follow but it never run and the statistics are empty.
When refreshing, the Next run field does not change

job1
Name job1
Enabled Yes
Host agent localhost
Job class Routine maintenance
Created 24/10/2005 18.44.49
Changed 24/10/2005 18.44.49
Next run 24/10/2005 19.19.00
Last run
Last result Unknown
Running at Not currently running

I suspect the problem is that your host agent is not actually localhost
- pgAgent uses the wxGetFullHostName
(http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.2/wx_networkfunctions.html#wxgetfullho
stname) function which returns the fully qualified domain host name of
the machine it's running on. In my case that might be
pc30.vale-housing.co.uk for example.

Unless you are running multiple agents and need to target jobs at
specific ones, it's normally safe to leave this field blank which means
that any agent can run the job.

Regards, Dave