Re: MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;
Date: 2005-07-22 07:55:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Joel Fradkin
Sent: 21 July 2005 22:34
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ODBC] MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;

When I pulled my connectionstring from the dns builder I got

MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;

We had data in our SQL database in text fields longer then 8k.

When a client tried to acces that record we got an error so I
upped the MaxLongVarcharSize=8190; to

MaxLongVarcharSize=18190;

This fixed the problem, but I have been told by a conulting
group (PCM) that using over 8 k might be causing my errors.

Err, why exactly? As far as I'm aware, that option has always worked
properly.

I did change it back to 8k and am a bit subjective on the
outcome (we still have been having issues, but not odbc related).

Does anyone know the correct settings for my connection string
to use longer then 8k text fields, or do I need to divide the data
across multiple records?

Set it to whatever you need. iirc, you can also use -4 (SQL_NO_TOTAL) if
you like.

Regards, Dave.