Re: MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <ac(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;
Date: 2005-07-22 12:31:28
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Thanks Dave,

I guess there is no down side to allowing the users longer text fields for
notes then.

I was testing the libpq driver yesterday doing stress tests from our web app
and did not see any leakage.

I also did not see any errors (My test server is not very robust, so I could
only get like 4 concurrent users working using the web stress tool from MS
before the site itself stopped being happy). I do plan to get a robust
server to test on next week and can grab the latest snapshot.

I am a little unclear on the questions about postgres headers, do I just go
find the source for that and put the headers in my project.

I am compiling under .net (the version I tested was I believe all the latest
and greatest from csv).

I can try switching back to vc++ vrom studio 6 if that is the concensus and
use the mak file as you recommended.

It has been several years for me to do compiling from the command line in
C++, so I feel more comfortable in the IDE.

I am concerned about trying to convert to unicode and the new drivers again,
because last time my tests went smoth (using the non libpq driver) and in
production it fell like a punctured blimp. I wasted like 18hours of my time
(not totally least I have a current data set in unicode to test with).

I have not tried the new drivers with SQLASCII database, so I will see what
it does with that (if its like the non libpq driver it will not display the
french properly unless it's a unicode data base).

I was also unclear what you meant by -4 (SQL_NO_TOTAL)?

Joel