Re: Missing "New Node"

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing "New Node"
Date: 2005-06-09 15:17:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andreas Pflug [mailto:pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de]
> Sent: 09 June 2005 14:00
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne; pgadmin-hackers
> Subject: Re: Missing "New Node"
>
> > How do I add an admin node?
>
> Add node with proper connstring.

Err, right. So I need to make sure the host= option is specified in the
connect string? That's not overly obvious, especially given that the
slony test scripts do not use the host option.

Anyway, so having manually added it, the properties dialogue for the
cluster will only let me select the opposite node as the admin node (ie,
the one in the database that I didn't select the cluster node under). If
that makes sense. Then it errors when I try to save it :-(

> If I try to join the cluster (as opposed to
> > just adding a node), I now see the servers etc, but
> obviously no admin
> > node.
> available admin nodes are identified by matching conn strings.
>
> When I click OK, I get an exception and it all falls over.
>

> > I'm still not entirely sure why the admin node is required
> - why can't
> > we just get the info from the connected database?
>
> Because quite often a cross-db connection is needed.

I am unsure why we need it when slonik doesn't, unless we are trying to
to show stats or something for subscribers. If that is the case then
perhaps we should only look at those stats /from/ the subscriber and
reduce the complexity as much as possible. I'm having a hard time
understanding what is going on myself so I dread to think what a novice
will think of it :-(

> I'll probably not find time to fix things in June, sorry.

OK, well I'll keep working on knocking slony itself into shape on
Windows, and then perhaps we can revisit this as soon as you have time
(which we need to do for the other project anyway).

Cheers, Dave.