Re: Missing "New Node"

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing "New Node"
Date: 2005-06-10 19:50:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Same requirement as slon and slonik have.

> Anyway, so having manually added it, the properties dialogue for the
> cluster will only let me select the opposite node as the admin node (ie,
> the one in the database that I didn't select the cluster node under). If
> that makes sense. Then it errors when I try to save it :-(

Add an admin node representing your machine, and add paths to all nodes
(that's what pgadmin would do implicitely when creating or joining a
cluster). This should be identified as suitable, and selectable.

>>If I try to join the cluster (as opposed to
>>
>>>just adding a node), I now see the servers etc, but
>>
>>obviously no admin
>>
>>>node.
>>
>>available admin nodes are identified by matching conn strings.
>>
>> When I click OK, I get an exception and it all falls over.
>>

>>>I'm still not entirely sure why the admin node is required
>>
>>- why can't
>>
>>>we just get the info from the connected database?
>>
>>Because quite often a cross-db connection is needed.
>

> I am unsure why we need it when slonik doesn't, unless we are trying to
> to show stats or something for subscribers. If that is the case then
> perhaps we should only look at those stats /from/ the subscriber and
> reduce the complexity as much as possible. I'm having a hard time
> understanding what is going on myself so I dread to think what a novice
> will think of it :-(

This results from the missing definitions usually done by pgadmin as
above. slony is somewhat confusing about where which action may be
taken, pgadmin tries to handle this. Maybe we need a "(re)create
pgadmin stuff" wizard (as well as a set creation wizard)

BTW cross-db access to nodes is done via GetNodeConn

>>I'll probably not find time to fix things in June, sorry.
>

> OK, well I'll keep working on knocking slony itself into shape on
> Windows, and then perhaps we can revisit this as soon as you have time
> (which we need to do for the other project anyway).

Right.
Regards,
Andreas