Re: No way to have error message on pgadmin III pg 8.0

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Laurent Birckel" <laurent(dot)birckel(at)uni-medecine(dot)fr>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No way to have error message on pgadmin III pg 8.0
Date: 2005-03-18 17:02:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Laurent
Birckel
Sent: 18 March 2005 16:51
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] No way to have error message on
pgadmin III pg 8.0

where working on pgadminIII to writing a function (on windows,
postgre 8.0)

if I fortget a ";" or a ")" (for all other errors toot,

I get absolutely nothing when I run the crate or alter function
(F5)

I just know that there is an error because I don't have the
message "query exucuted ...", but th'ats all

I think I tried everything , but no way to have the error
messages like "syntax error at line N"

Unfortunately PostgreSQL doesn't validate most functions when they are
created. pl/pgsql does have a basic validator, but it is possible it is
not enabled, check it's properties in pgAdmin and ensure a validator is
listed. Either way, it is far from perfect, and the best option I find
is to have a test query or queries setup in another window ready to run
as soon as you've updated the function. That will show you where any
errors are found.

Regards, Dave.