Re: problem with CVS version

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Antonio Pennino" <a(dot)pennino(at)nocerainformatica(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problem with CVS version
Date: 2004-07-27 15:57:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Character varying(xx) may well be unicode depending on how your database
was created. With regard to your application, the ODBC Driver *Manager*
(ie. not the driver) will map function calls to the unicode version of
the functions (such as SQLDescribeColW) if it detects that your
application is unicode aware. Could it be the case that the MFC classes
you are using are unicode aware and the DM is detecting this?

Whatever the case though, the log file you supplied showed that you are
using the unicode functions (intentionally or not), therefore you should
expect to get unicode data types from the driver where appropriate.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/ht
m/odbcunicode_applications.asp

> Is possible to force the driver for
> not use unicode?

I assume you can just call SQLDescribeColA (or the A version of other
functions). This whole unicode/odbc thing is new to me anyway - I'm only
really trying to help out with ODBC bugs in the absence of anyone else
who *really* knows ODBC inside out, and I don't really have any personal
interest in ODBC these days anyway.

Regards, Dave.