Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper
Date: 2006-06-23 13:15:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

What, pgAdmin crashes when you paste into gedit?(!!!)

> Additionally, copy-paste sometimes stops working entirely -
> Ctrl-C just does nothing, and Ctrl-V
> inserts the text that was on the clipboard _before_ pressing
> Ctrl-C. Using "Copy" from the edit-menu
> seems to work, and after using the menu once, Ctrl-C
> functionality is sometimes restored...

Copy/paste from what control?

> There were a few corrupted-display problems in the tree too,
> but I haven't found a way to reproduce them -
> and they're not too severe, because opening and closing the
> affected part of the tree always fixed them.

Please check SVN trunk for this - I found a couple of issues recently.

> I've compiled a debug-enabled wxGTK (2.6.3) version + a
> debug-enabled pgadmin3 (1.4.2) version now - will try
> to get some backtraces from the crashes...
>
> Has anyone else experience this sort of trouble? What
> wx-version is the recommended one for pgadmin at the moment?

2.6.3.

> I'd really like to get pgadmin running flawlessly on ubuntu..

Hmm, yes well, get them to update to the latest wx and *not* patch it
for a start. We go out of our way to work round bugs and issues in stock
wx (and other libraries), and it really doesn't help when the distros
try to fix things themselves in ways that sometimes don't get into the
upstream packages and may even be plain incorrect.

Aside from that though, Ubuntu seems to be the only distro we ever see
these issues reported on - what else is non-standard that might have
some effect on things?

Regards, Dave.