Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 1.4 stability issues on ubuntu/dapper
Date: 2006-06-23 13:30:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
>> Florian G. Pflug
>> Sent: 23 June 2006 14:01
>> To: pgadmin-hackers
>> I'm using Ubuntu Dapper at work now, and I'm having a hard
>> time getting it to work properly.
>> Ubuntu comes with wxGTK 2.6.1 (+ quite a few ubuntu/debian
>> patches...). Using this version
>> leads to Whole-Xserver-Lockups when doubleclicking selected
>> text (This was discussed here a week
>> or two ago). I'm now using 2.6.3, and while this fixes the
>> lockup-problem, it sometimes crashes
>> when copying text from pgadmin to e.g. gedit. Funnily enough,
>> it crashes _not_ when copying the text,
>> but rather when inserting it into gedit...
>
> What, pgAdmin crashes when you paste into gedit?(!!!)
Well, only when I copied the text _from_ pgadmin3 ;-)
AFAIK there is no application-independent clipboard in X11 where
copied content is stored until it is pasted. Instead, the data
is transfered between source and destination application when the
uses pastes the data.

>> Additionally, copy-paste sometimes stops working entirely -
>> Ctrl-C just does nothing, and Ctrl-V
>> inserts the text that was on the clipboard _before_ pressing
>> Ctrl-C. Using "Copy" from the edit-menu
>> seems to work, and after using the menu once, Ctrl-C
>> functionality is sometimes restored...
>
> Copy/paste from what control?
In the main text area in the sql window.

>> There were a few corrupted-display problems in the tree too,
>> but I haven't found a way to reproduce them -
>> and they're not too severe, because opening and closing the
>> affected part of the tree always fixed them.
>
> Please check SVN trunk for this - I found a couple of issues recently.
Latest 1.4 branch, or trunk?

>> I've compiled a debug-enabled wxGTK (2.6.3) version + a
>> debug-enabled pgadmin3 (1.4.2) version now - will try
>> to get some backtraces from the crashes...
>>
>> Has anyone else experience this sort of trouble? What
>> wx-version is the recommended one for pgadmin at the moment?
>
> 2.6.3.

>> I'd really like to get pgadmin running flawlessly on ubuntu..
> Hmm, yes well, get them to update to the latest wx and *not* patch it
> for a start. We go out of our way to work round bugs and issues in stock
> wx (and other libraries), and it really doesn't help when the distros
> try to fix things themselves in ways that sometimes don't get into the
> upstream packages and may even be plain incorrect.
Well, I'm using a self-compiled version (2.6.3) - I ditched the ubuntu-supplied
2.6.1+patches wx because of those Whole-X11-Lockup problems..

I actually tried to persuade them to release dapper with 2.6.3, but since 2.6.3
contains non-backwards-compatible api changes, they were reluctant to do this... :-(

> Aside from that though, Ubuntu seems to be the only distro we ever see
> these issues reported on - what else is non-standard that might have
> some effect on things?
Hm, they are using gcc 4.0.3 by default. Since using that compiled lead to
a pgadmin3 that wouldn't even start up, I'm now using gcc 3.3. Of course,
wx is compiled with 3.3 too, but gtk and friends are the ubuntu version, and
therefore compiled with 4.0.3 I believe. But for _C_ code, mixing compiler
versions shouldn't hurt, should it?

greetings, Florian Pflug