Re: GnuTLS support

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GnuTLS support
Date: 2017-09-01 18:11:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 01 Sep 2017, at 20:00, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for working on this. I think it's good for PostgreSQL to have
>>> more options in this area.
>>
>> +1. We also have a patch in the queue to support macOS' TLS library,
>> and I suppose that's going to be facing similar issues. It would be
>> a good plan, probably, to try to push both of these to conclusion in
>> the same development cycle.
>
> The thing which I think would save the most aggravation - at least for
> my employer - is a Windows SSL implementation.

In 53EA546E(dot)6020404(at)vmware(dot)com, an early version of SChannel support was posted
by Heikki. If anyone is keen to pick up the effort that would most likely be a
good starting point.

> Relying on OpenSSL
> means that every time OpenSSL puts out a critical security fix, we've
> got to rewrap all the Windows installers to pick up the new version.
> If we were relying on what's built into Windows, it would be
> Microsoft's problem. Granted, it's not anybody's job to solve
> EnterpriseDB's problems except EnterpriseDB, but users might like it
> too -- and anyone else who is building Windows installers for
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Depending on macOS TLS instead of OpenSSL has similar advantages, of
> course, just for a somewhat less common platform.

I think providing alternatives to OpenSSL on platforms where OpenSSL can’t be
relied on to be already available (Windows and macOS come to mind) would be a
great thing for many users and app developers.

cheers ./daniel