Re: GnuTLS support

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GnuTLS support
Date: 2017-09-01 18:00:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> wrote:
>>> I have seen discussions from time to time about OpenSSL and its licensing
>>> issues so I decided to see how much work it would be to add support for
>>> another TLS library, and I went with GnuTLS since it is the library I know
>>> best after OpenSSL and it is also a reasonably popular library.
>
>> Thanks for working on this. I think it's good for PostgreSQL to have
>> more options in this area.
>
> +1. We also have a patch in the queue to support macOS' TLS library,
> and I suppose that's going to be facing similar issues. It would be
> a good plan, probably, to try to push both of these to conclusion in
> the same development cycle.

The thing which I think would save the most aggravation - at least for
my employer - is a Windows SSL implementation. Relying on OpenSSL
means that every time OpenSSL puts out a critical security fix, we've
got to rewrap all the Windows installers to pick up the new version.
If we were relying on what's built into Windows, it would be
Microsoft's problem. Granted, it's not anybody's job to solve
EnterpriseDB's problems except EnterpriseDB, but users might like it
too -- and anyone else who is building Windows installers for
PostgreSQL.

Depending on macOS TLS instead of OpenSSL has similar advantages, of
course, just for a somewhat less common platform.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company