Re: Ought to use heap_multi_insert() for pg_attribute/depend insertions?

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ought to use heap_multi_insert() for pg_attribute/depend insertions?
Date: 2020-02-24 23:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 23 Feb 2020, at 08:27, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 10:22:27PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Turns out that we in heap_multi_insert missed to call log_heap_new_cid for the
>> first tuple inserted, we only do it in the loop body for the subsequent ones.
>> With the attached patch, the v6 of this patch posted upthead pass the tests for
>> me. I have a v7 brewing which I'll submit shortly, but since this fix
>> unrelated to that patchseries other than as a pre-requisite I figured I'd post
>> that separately.
>
> Good catch. I would not backpatch that as it is not a live bug
> because heap_multi_insert() is not used for catalogs yet. With your
> patch, that would be the case though..

I'll leave that call up to others, the bug is indeed unreachable with the
current coding.

Attached is a v7 of the catalog multi_insert patch which removes some code
duplication which was previously commented on. There are still a few rouch
edges but this version passes tests when paired with the heap_multi_insert cid
patch.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment Content-Type Size
catalog_multi_insert-v7.patch application/octet-stream 56.7 KB
heap_multi_insert_cid.patch application/octet-stream 985 bytes