pgsql: Repair pg_upgrade's failure to preserve relfrozenxid for matview

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Repair pg_upgrade's failure to preserve relfrozenxid for matview
Date: 2018-02-21 23:40:43
Lists: pgsql-committers

Repair pg_upgrade's failure to preserve relfrozenxid for matviews.

This oversight led to data corruption in matviews, manifesting as
"could not access status of transaction" before our most recent releases,
and "found xmin from before relfrozenxid" errors since then.

The proximate cause of the problem seems to have been confusion between
the task of preserving dropped-column status and the task of preserving
frozenxid status. Those are required for distinct sets of relkinds,
and the reasoning was entirely undocumented in the source code. In hopes
of forestalling future errors of the same kind, try to improve the
commentary in this area.

In passing, also improve the remarkably unhelpful comments around
pg_upgrade's set_frozenxids(). That's not actually buggy AFAICS,
but good luck figuring out what it does from the old comments.

Per report from Claudio Freire. It appears that bug #14852 from Alexey
Ermakov is an earlier report of the same issue, and there may be other
cases that we failed to identify at the time.

Patch by me based on analysis by Andres Freund. The bug dates back
to the introduction of matviews, so back-patch to all supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAGTBQpbrY9CdRGGhyBZ9yqY4jWaGC85rUF4X+R7d-aim=mBNsw@mail.gmail.com
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20171013115320.28049.86457@wrigleys.postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL9_5_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9936f149952b08acfac13d94ae76a245749f2a3d

Modified Files
src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--
src/bin/pg_upgrade/pg_upgrade.c | 33 ++++++++++++++++++++++-----------