Re: MERGE vs REPLACE

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Rick Gigger" <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MERGE vs REPLACE
Date: 2005-11-17 11:34:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The problem I try to solve is something along: a bunch of clients try
to update a count, and ONE of them must initialize > the count if it
does not exist... this can't be done with current infrastructure without
race conditions.

The solution without merge but a unique key in other db's is:

update
if no rows updated
insert
if duplicate key
update
if no rows updated goto insert

note, that the counter updates need to be of the form set x = x + ?
where key=y
do you see a potential race condition with this ?
In pg you also need a savepoint before the insert for this to work.

Depending on the ratio of insert vs update we also start with insert
when
the insert succeeds more that 50% (I would use a higher percentage with
pg though):

insert
if duplicate key
update