Variable array sizes with PQexecParams

From: "Garcia, Joshua" <Joshua(dot)Garcia(at)xerox(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Variable array sizes with PQexecParams
Date: 2006-06-26 18:31:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

I want to use PQexecParams to insert into a field that takes an array of
varchars. I tried something like:

INSERT INTO table1(column1) VALUES ('{$1,$2}')

But, this just inserts {$1,$2} into the field.

However, I also want to be able to select at runtime the number of
elements I'll be inserting into the field. For example, rather than
having two elements in the array as I tried above, I just want one
element as shown below:

INSERT INTO table1(column1) VALUES ($1)

How can I do all this?

Thanks in advance,