Re: Dirty Buffer Writing [was Proposed LogWriter Scheme]

From: "Curtis Faith" <curtis(at)galtair(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Greg Copeland" <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>, "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Dirty Buffer Writing [was Proposed LogWriter Scheme]
Date: 2002-10-07 20:43:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This is the trickle syncer. It prevents bursts of disk activity every
> 30 seconds. It is for non-fsync writes, of course, and I assume if the
> kernel buffers get low, it starts to flush faster.

AFAICT, the syncer only speeds up when virtual memory paging fills the
buffers past
a threshold and even in that event it only speeds it up by a factor of two.

I can't find any provision for speeding up flushing of the dirty buffers
when they fill for normal file system writes, so I don't think that
happens.

- Curtis