Re: Dirty Buffer Writing [was Proposed LogWriter Scheme]

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtair(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>, Pgsql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Dirty Buffer Writing [was Proposed LogWriter Scheme]
Date: 2002-10-08 03:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Curtis Faith wrote:
> > This is the trickle syncer. It prevents bursts of disk activity every
> > 30 seconds. It is for non-fsync writes, of course, and I assume if the
> > kernel buffers get low, it starts to flush faster.
>
> AFAICT, the syncer only speeds up when virtual memory paging fills the
> buffers past
> a threshold and even in that event it only speeds it up by a factor of two.
>
> I can't find any provision for speeding up flushing of the dirty buffers
> when they fill for normal file system writes, so I don't think that
> happens.

So you think if I try to write a 1 gig file, it will write enough to
fill up the buffers, then wait while the sync'er writes out a few blocks
every second, free up some buffers, then write some more?

Take a look at vfs_bio::getnewbuf() on *BSD and you will see that when
it can't get a buffer, it will async write a dirty buffer to disk.

As far as this AIO conversation is concerned, I want to see someone come
up with some performance improvement that we can only do with AIO.
Unless I see it, I am not interested in pursuing this thread.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us