Re: Would it be possible

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Adarsh Sharma *EXTERN*" <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>, "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Christian Ullrich" <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>, "Chetan Suttraway" <chetan(dot)suttraway(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Would it be possible
Date: 2011-07-25 07:21:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Adarsh Sharma wrote:

> I am using Postgres-8.4.2 on Windows system.
> I have 2 databases in my postgres database ( globedatabase (21GB),
urldatabase).

> I restore globedatabase from a .sql file on yesterday morning.I insert
some new data in that database.
> In the evening, by mistake I issued a drop database globedatabase
command.

> Today morning, I restore again the same database from backup (.sql)
file.
> My .sql file have data till yesterday morning but I want newly insert
data now. Is it possible.

> Is it possible to get the data back till the state before drop
database command.

> My pglog files is in the E:/data directory & Binary log is also
enabled.

> Please let me know if it is possible. It's urgent.

I assume you mean "transaction log" when you say "binary log".

It is possible to restore your database if you have a file system backup
of the database in some state before the "DROP DATABASE" command.
Then you could start from there and restore the database to a point
just before the DROP.

If you have no file system backup, there is no way.
See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html

Yours,
Laurenz Albe