Re: Problem with listen_addresses = '*' on 8.4beta2 on AIX

From: "Albe Laurenz" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Tom Lane *EXTERN*" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Problem with listen_addresses = '*' on 8.4beta2 on AIX
Date: 2009-06-12 11:42:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Where are we on this?
>
>> waiting on a patch? Albe? (or should I do it myself?)
>
> I thought the proposed patch was just "remove the special case for AIX
> in src/backend/libpq/ip.c".

Yes.

The only bugs at IBM that are listed as open are IZ43766 = IZ44519,
and they should not affect us (I looked through the code).
For the record, these result in ai_socktype and ai_protocol being
set to zero in the result.

All other problems should be fixed in AIX 6.1 ML 02, AIX 5.3 ML 09
and AIX 5.2 ML 09. It's hard to say for AIX 5.1 and AIX 4.3.3 as
they are out of support, and bugs that are fixed in current versions
may be unfixed there. On the other hand, the bugs may have been
introduced later. Thus, for AIX 5.1 and AIX 4.3.3 we should request
that the last Maintenance Level be installed (ML 09 for AIX 5.1
and ML 11 for 4.3.3).

I am waiting for Merlin's report whether getaddrinfo(3) works on his
AIX 4.3.3 after upgrading to ML 11.

I'll attach a small C program I wrote for my convenience to test
different getaddrinfo calls that occur in PostgreSQL code.

After we have word from Merlin, I'd write a patch that changes
src/backend/libpq/ip.c and src/frontend/libpq/ip.c to undo the AIX hack
and adds documentation to section 15.8.1 that states the recommended
fix levels per AIX version.
I won't get to do that before Monday though, so if somebody can do
it before that, go ahead.

Which raises a final question for me:
The documentation mentions support from 4.3 on, and there are specific
comments for 4.3.2.
We can't say anything for versions before 4.3.3, can we?
Should we drop versions < 4.3.3 even if Merlin reports success for 4.3.3?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
test_getaddrinfo.c application/octet-stream 3.0 KB