Replication question

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Replication question
Date: 2004-01-16 23:21:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

When replication is implemented, what is going to happen with database
systems that rely heavily on sequences for primary keys?

For example, consider this simple table:

CREATE SEQUENCE "IntervalType_IntervalTypeID_seq" start 1 increment 1
maxvalue 2147483647 minvalue 1 cache 1 ;

CREATE TABLE "IntervalType" (
"IntervalTypeID" integer DEFAULT
nextval('"IntervalType_IntervalTypeID_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
"IntervalTypeDescription" character varying(255),
"MaximumValue" integer,
"FrequencyUnits" double precision,
Constraint "PK_IntervalType" Primary Key ("IntervalTypeID")
);

Now, when we replicate this table to other systems, will the sequence
parameters also flow to the targets?

A more interesting question is what happens if we need to revert to a
prior version (where -- for instance -- the maximum value of the
sequence was smaller than it is right now). Will the target system have
the sequence value reduced?