Re: And ppl complain about *our* beta cycles ...

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: And ppl complain about *our* beta cycles ...
Date: 2004-01-17 04:54:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>From the Firebird FAQ:
>
> "The first beta was released on January 29, 2003. We are hoping to be
> close to a full release some time around Easter 2003."
>
> They are at RC8 right now ... running a *wee* bit behind scheduale :)

Yes, they're pretty late. Last time I read, the only major issues
preventing their final release is around the installer. The 1.5 codebase
itself has been stabilized for quite a while. Practically all work is
now done to the 2.0 branch/HEAD. They have several goodies in store for
the 2.0 release (e.g.: incremental backup).

I think the Firebird team wants to make sure that their first public
release to the world is really good. (Okay, they have some 1.0.x
releases too but these were mainly bugfixes for IB 6.0, its predecessor;
and there are *lots* of bugs being fixed). FB 1.5 is the first version
that uses the new C++ codebase.

Anyway, I'm certainly not among those who complain. I believe Postgres
is already moving ahead faster than any other open source and
semi-commercial database projects that I know of. You guys are doing a
great great job. :-)

--
dave