Re: Win32 native port

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Postgresql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Win32 native port
Date: 2003-09-04 21:54:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

You are making an assumption that the follwing sentence is only valid
under conditions of the first. That is nowhere stated. That connection
is only implied by your interpretation.

> Furthermore, there is a specific exemption below that says this:
> ---------------------------
>
> In accordance with section 10 of the GPL, Red Hat permits
> programs whose
> sources are distributed under a license that complies with the Open
> Source definition to be linked with libcygwin.a without libcygwin.a
> itself causing the resulting program to be covered by the GNU GPL.
>
> This means that you can port an Open Source(tm) application
> to cygwin,
> and distribute that executable as if it didn't include a copy of
> libcygwin.a linked into it. Note that this does not apply to
> the cygwin
> DLL itself. If you distribute a (possibly modified) version
> of the DLL
> you must adhere to the terms of the GPL, i.e. you must
> provide sources
> for the cygwin DLL.
>
> See http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html for
> the precise
> Open Source Definition referenced above.
>
> --------------------------

And yet above in the original link it specifies that the open source
project must be GPL.
"This means that unless you modify the tools so that compiled
executables do not make use of the Cygwin library, your compiled
programs will also have to be free software DISTRIBUTED UNDER THE GPL
with source code available to all. " {emphasis mine}

> So even if we did link against libcygwin.a we'd be home free.
>
> If there's any doubt (I have none) perhaps someone would like
> to contact
> RedHat for a clarification.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Even a trivial and absurd lawsuit can have disastrous consequences.
Consider SCO verses IBM.