postmaster/shmget errors

From: "Ridge, Mia" <MRidge(at)museum(dot)vic(dot)gov(dot)au>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postmaster/shmget errors
Date: 2000-04-14 01:06:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've tried all kinds of settings in /etc/system to get postmaster to start,
but now I'm wondering if the shmget call itself might be wrong. Does anyone
have any experience with this error?

The exact errors and solutions I've tried (from the
postgresql and sun sites) are below.

The postmaster error is:

bash-2.03$ less /usr/local/postgresdata/psqlerrors.log
FindExec: searching PATH ...
FindExec: found "/usr/local/bin/postgres" using PATH
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument)
key=5432001, size=1073152, per
mission=600
FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region
proc_exit(0) [#0]
shmem_exit(0) [#0]
exit(0)

This error is described in the Solaris faq at
http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html, but the suggested
solution "set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x7fffffff" and reboot
didn't work.

The Sun docs site says:

1.Edit the /etc/system file with a text editor and add the
following lines:
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=268435456
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=250
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=500
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=500
set semsys:seminfo_semume=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=200
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=200
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=200

2.Type touch /reconfigure and press Return.

3.Reboot the system.

which I did, but it also didn't work. I've also added
"forceload: sys/shmsys" and repeated the process without
success.

I've also tried the following setting with the same touch
/reconfigure and reboot sequence:

forceload: sys/shmsys
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=128000000

Co-ordinator, Information Services