Seapug (March) - Data Acquisition & Data Destruction

From: "Albin, Lloyd P" <lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org>
To: <seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Seapug (March) - Data Acquisition & Data Destruction
Date: 2010-03-03 01:15:08
Lists: seapug

Welcome to the Seattle Postgres Users Group (SEAPUG
<http://www.seapug.org/> )

On March 9th at 7PM, Robert Emin will be doing a talk on real time data
acquisition using National Instruments LabView and writing the sensor
data directly into a PostgreSQL database.

Afterword's, I will do a presentation on Data Destruction and how some
of the current methods are becoming less effective as the size of the
drives increase, plus some new methods that are built into the drives
that you may not know about. Everyone runs into this when they upgrade
their servers and the old hard drives contain credit card data or
medical data, etc.

I am hoping to be able to announce the next presentation at this
presentation, so that we will always know the next presentation at least
a month in advance.

We meet the second Tuesday of the month at 7PM at
Statistical Center for HIV/AIDS Research and Prevention (SCHARP)
<http://www.scharp.org/>
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) <http://www.fhcrc.org/>
1616 Eastlake Ave N.
<http://www.seapug.org/Locations/1616Eastlake/1616Eastlake.php>
Seattle, WA 98102

Please arrive between 6:30 & 7:00 PM, so that we can easily accommodate
you, because:
1) The parking garage automatically closes at 7 PM (free guest parking)
2) This is a secure building, everyone will meet in the lobby (and get a
which chance to chat with each other) and then we will escort everyone
to the conference room.
3) If you do arrive late, have the guard call the conference room, so
that we can send someone down to get you.

This will get much easier and smoother after the first few meetings.

If you are going to be attending please post on the
seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org <mailto:seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org> list or send me a
direct email at lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org <mailto:lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org> I need to
confirmation so that I know if we need to wait for someone else to
arrive before we start the presentation.

Afterword's we will be going to Feierabend
<http://www.feierabendseattle.com/> (German Pub) for a bite to eat /
drink and a change to get to know each other.

Lloyd