Re: Reasoning behind process instead of thread based

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reasoning behind process instead of thread based
Date: 2004-10-27 18:34:34
Lists: pgsql-general

There are clear advantages to separate process space for servers.
1. Separate threads can stomp on each other's memory space. (e.g.
imagine a wild, home-brew C function gone bad).
2. Separate processes can have separate user ids, and [hence] different
rights for file access. A threaded server will have to either be
started at the level of the highest user who will attach or will have to
impersonate the users in threads. Impersonation is very difficult to
make portable.
3. Separate processes die when they finish, releasing all resources to
the operating system. Imagine a threaded server with a teeny-tiny
memory leak, that stays up 24x7. Eventually, you will start using disk
for ram, or even use all available disk and simply crash.

Threaded servers have one main advantate:
Threads are lightweight processes and starting a new thread is faster
than starting a new executable.

The thread advantage can be partly mitigated by pre-launching a pool of
servers.