Re: PoC Refactor AM analyse API

From: Денис Смирнов <sd(at)arenadata(dot)io>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PoC Refactor AM analyse API
Date: 2021-10-01 18:24:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think this patch should be totally redesigned and removed from the upcoming CF. The problem is that vanilla PG has a single storage manager implementation, that works with fix size blocks. Current commit didn’t take this aspect into account. We should first decide whether PG needs an ability to implement custom storage managers with variable size blocks and custom block buffers (or without any for OLAP). And only after that we should move to the variable size block analyze.

Best regards,
Denis Smirnov | Developer
sd(at)arenadata(dot)io
Arenadata | Bldg. 3, Block 1 Skladochnaya St. Moscow, 127018