Re: Stupid question about WAL archiving

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stupid question about WAL archiving
Date: 2008-01-18 18:30:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 18, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:

> My server ran out of disk space because my archive directory was full
> ow write ahead logs.
>
> My warm standby had lost it's mounted NFS volume and thus stopped
> reading in the archives from the master.
>
> Would I have run out of space if the standby hadn't stopped reading
> them in?
>
> I.e, should I be deleting the old logs myself or should the warm
> standby be managing them?

Depends on what you're using run your warm standby in your
recovery.conf. pg_standby has the -k flag for NUMFILESTOKEEP. Where
I work, we have a cron job that deletes WAL archives more than three
days old. Admittedly, using pg_standby's -k option is probably more
reliable.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com