Re: LWLock optimization for multicore Power machines

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LWLock optimization for multicore Power machines
Date: 2017-08-30 12:31:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Alexander Korotkov <
a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Alexander Korotkov <
> a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

>>> I think unless such benchmarking is done in the next 24h we need to move
>>> this patch to the next CF...
>>>

>> Thank you for your comments.
>> I didn't x86 benchmarking. I even didn't manage to reproduce previous
>> results on Power8.
>> Presumably, it's because previous benchmarks were done on bare metal,
>> while now I have to some kind of virtual machine on IBM E880 where I can't
>> reproduce any win of Power8 LWLock optimization. But probably there is
>> another reason.
>> Thus, I'm moving this patch to the next CF.
>>

> I see it's already moved. OK!

It doesn't seems to make sense to consider this patch unless we get access
to suitable Power machine to reproduce benefits.
This is why I'm going to mark this patch "Returned with feedback".
Once we would get access to the appropriate machine, I will resubmit this
patch.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company