Re: jsonpath

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonpath
Date: 2019-05-17 15:35:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 6:50 AM Alexander Korotkov
<a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Couple patches improving jsonpath docs are attached. The first one
> documents nesting level filter for .** accessor. The second adds to
> documentation of jsonpath array subsciption usage of expressions and
> multiple slice ranges. I'm going to push both patches if no
> objections.

Looking more on documentation I found that I'm not exactly happy on
how jsonpath description is organized. Part of description including
accessors is given in json datatypes section [1], while part of
description including functions and operators is given in json
functions and operators section. I think we should give the whole
jsonpath description in the single place. So, what about moving it to
datatype section leaving functions sections with just SQL-level
functions?

1. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/datatype-json.html#DATATYPE-JSONPATH
2. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-json.html#FUNCTIONS-SQLJSON-PATH

------