Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 12: Feature Highlights
Date: 2019-05-17 15:36:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 07:56:55PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
> On 2019/05/17 3:26, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think the more specific we make the partition description, the more
> > limited it will appear to be. I think almost all partition operations
> > will appear to be faster with PG 12, even if users can't articulate
> > exactly why.
>
> I agree that the current description captures at a high level the many
> changes that made it possible. Although, a couple of commits listed with
> this item don't have much to do with that description, AFAICT. Especially
> 959d00e9d [1], which taught the planner to leverage the ordering imposed
> on partitions by range partitioning. With that commit, getting ordered
> output from partitioned tables is now much quicker, especially with a
> LIMIT clause. You can tell that it sounds clearly unrelated to the
> description we have now, which is "processing thousands of partitions is

Yes, it does. I added this text and moved the commit item:

Avoid sorting when partitions are already being scanned in the
necessary order (David Rowley)

I certainly strugged to understand the maze of commits related to
partitioning.

> quicker when only small numbers of partitions are touched". Some users of
> partitioning may not be interested in the use case described as vastly
> improved, but they may be delighted to hear about items such as the
> aforementioned commit. Also, I suspect that the users whose use cases
> pushed them to use partitioning in the first place may also be the ones
> who do some of their own research about partitioning and eventually know
> many optimizations that are possible with it. So, it's perhaps a good
> idea to let them know about such optimizations through release notes if
> it's the only place to put them, which I believe is the case with this
> particular item. There are not that many commits to be taken out of the
> existing item and described separately, just this one I think.

Yes.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +