Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed

From: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed
Date: 2017-03-10 14:45:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2/24/17 16:32, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > set EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_SORT size_desc
> > \dt+
> > \l+
> > \di+
> >
> > Possible variants: schema_table, table_schema, size_desc, size_asc
>
> I can see this being useful, but I think it needs to be organized a
> little better.
>
> Sort key and sort direction should be separate settings.

I agree.

I'm not sure why we need to have separate settings to sort by schema
> name and table name.

I think sorting by schema name, object name makes sense for people, who
have objects of same name in different schemas.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company