Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed
Date: 2017-03-10 14:10:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/24/17 16:32, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> set EXTENDED_DESCRIBE_SORT size_desc
> \dt+
> \l+
> \di+
>
> Possible variants: schema_table, table_schema, size_desc, size_asc

I can see this being useful, but I think it needs to be organized a
little better.

Sort key and sort direction should be separate settings.

I'm not sure why we need to have separate settings to sort by schema
name and table name. But if we do, then we should support that for all
object types. I think maybe that's something we shouldn't get into
right now.

So I would have one setting for sort key = {name|size} and on for sort
direction = {asc|desc}.