Re: naming of async_mode parameter

From: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: Etsuro Fujita <efujita(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: naming of async_mode parameter
Date: 2021-05-14 08:05:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:23 AM Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:
> I was looking at
> Fix EXPLAIN ANALYZE for async-capable nodes.

Thanks for that!

> which adds the following parameter / field:
>
> + bool async_mode; /* true if node is in async mode */
>
> async_mode implies an enum: {sync, async}
> Since there are only two values, the data type is bool. I think it should be named is_async.

By async_mode, I mean "is in async mode?", as commented above. I
thought the naming is_in_async_mode would be a bit long, so I
shortened it to async_mode. IIUC, I think another example in our
codebase would be the hash_spill_mode parameter in the AggState
struct. So I think async_mode would be acceptable IMO.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita