Re: Suggestions for first contribution?

From: Christian Convey <christian(dot)convey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for first contribution?
Date: 2016-09-08 12:24:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Aleksander Alekseev
<a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> Here is another idea for a contribution - refactoring.
>
> Currently there are a lot of procedures in PostgreSQL code that
> definitely don't fit on one screen (i.e. ~50 lines). Also many files are
> larger than say 1000 lines of code. For instance, psql_completion
> procedure is more than 2000 lines long! I think patches that would make
> such code easier to read would have a good chance to be accepted.

Thanks for the suggestion! I can see how refactoring could make a lot
of sense for some functions. That's probably a task I'd want to take
on after I had more experience with PG's code base. I think being
familiar with most/all of PG's code would make that task go more
smoothly.

- Christian