Re: Remove inconsistent quotes from date_part error

From: Nikhil Benesch <nikhil(dot)benesch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove inconsistent quotes from date_part error
Date: 2022-01-03 15:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 10:20 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> BTW, if you want to get rid of the quotes, I think that something
> else has to be done to set off the type name from the rest. In
> this instance someone might think that we're complaining about a
> "time zone unit", whatever that is. I suggest swapping it around to
>
> units \"%s\" not recognized for type %s
>
> Also, personally, I'd write unit not units, but that's
> more debatable.

Your suggestion sounds good to me. I'll update the patch with that.

Not that it changes anything, I think, but the wording ambiguity you
mention is present today in the timestamptz error message:

benesch=> select extract('nope' from now());
ERROR: timestamp with time zone units "nope" not recognized