Re: HOT chain validation in verify_heapam()

From: Himanshu Upadhyaya <upadhyaya(dot)himanshu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: HOT chain validation in verify_heapam()
Date: 2023-03-23 05:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 2:15 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Currently the new verify_heapam() follows ctid chains when XMAX_INVALID is
> set
> and expects to find an item it can dereference - but I don't think that's
> something we can rely on: Afaics HOT pruning can break chains, but doesn't
> reset xmax.
>
> We have below code which I think takes care of xmin and xmax matching and
if they match then only we add them to the predecessor array.
/*
* If the next line pointer is a redirect, or if
it's a tuple
* but the XMAX of this tuple doesn't match the
XMIN of the next
* tuple, then the two aren't part of the same
update chain and
* there is nothing more to do.
*/
if (ItemIdIsRedirected(next_lp))
continue;
curr_htup = (HeapTupleHeader) PageGetItem(ctx.page,
curr_lp);
curr_xmax = HeapTupleHeaderGetUpdateXid(curr_htup);
next_htup = (HeapTupleHeader) PageGetItem(ctx.page,
next_lp);
next_xmin = HeapTupleHeaderGetXmin(next_htup);
if (!TransactionIdIsValid(curr_xmax) ||
!TransactionIdEquals(curr_xmax, next_xmin))
continue;

--
Regards,
Himanshu Upadhyaya