Re: PROPOSAL: Fast temporary tables

From: Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Fast temporary tables
Date: 2016-03-01 15:36:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Aleksander Alekseev <
a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> Hello
>
> There are applications that create and delete a lot of temporary
> tables. Currently PostgreSQL doesn't handle such a use case well.
> Consider the following benchmark/example.

FWIW, I and Pavel have been spending some time discussing global temporary
tables, and I have been taking a shot at it. This is pretty inline with
that.

The approach you suggest sounds fine. I am personally a tad concerned about
the extra overhead of the locks and sanity of concurrency for the in memory
cache as well. Something I am not too clear about (I need to read your
email again), is about cache invalidation. Do all pages stay in the memory
always?

Also, are you proposing to change the behaviour of syscaches to not write
out those pages to disk? Or do you create a new set of caches?

Regards,

Atri