pg_restore (fromuser -> touser)

From: Mayan <popalzie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_restore (fromuser -> touser)
Date: 2021-07-23 15:22:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I had a general question about a feature that we depended on heavily when
using other RDBMS providers which was the ability to take a schema dump and
restore it to a different database and a different schema in that database
(could be to the same database as well). Basically, there was an option on
restore to specify a FROMUSER and a TOUSER directive so schema A could be
restored elsewhere but as schema B.

I don’t see such an option in Postgres and the only workaround I am aware
of is to do a plain-text (format=p) and then a crude find/replace to
replace the old schema name with the new schema name. I’ve never actually
tested this to be sure even this would work. Also, using this option will
prevent us from parallelizing the import or export, so it’s really not
something we want to do.

This would be a really useful feature in my opinion along with the ability
to maintain parallelization options.

Are there any such features on the roadmap? Is my understanding correct
about the available ways to accomplish this – again, in a practical and
performant way?

Thanks,

Mayan