Re: Macro customizable hashtable / bitmapscan & aggregation perf

From: Arthur Silva <arthurprs(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Macro customizable hashtable / bitmapscan & aggregation perf
Date: 2016-10-03 11:26:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 2:44 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Hi,

> > In the attached patch I've attached simplehash.h, which can be
> > customized by a bunch of macros, before being inlined. There's also a
> > patch using this for tidbitmap.c and nodeAgg/nodeSubplan/... via
> > execGrouping.c.
>
> Attached is a significantly improved version of this series. The main
> changes are:
>
> - The hash table now uses robin-hood style hash collision handling. See the
> commit message of 0002 (or simplehash.h) for an introduction. That
> significantly reduces the impact of "clustering" due to linear
> addressing.
> - Significant comment and correctness fixes, both in simplehash.h
> - itself, and 0003/0004.
> - a lot of other random performance improvements for the hashing code.
>

> Unfortunately I'm running out battery right now, so I don't want to
> re-run the benchmarks posted upthread (loading takes a while). But the
> last time I ran them all the results after the patches were better than
> before.
>

> This patch series currently consists out of four patches:
> - 0001 - add unlikely/likely() macros. The use here is not entirely
> mandatory, but they do provide a quite consistent improvement. There
> are other threads where they proved to be beneficial, so I see little
> reason not to introduce them.
> - 0002 - the customizable hashtable itself. It now contains documentation.
> - 0003 - convert tidbitmap.c to use the new hashmap. This includes a fix
> for the issue mentioned in [1], to improve peformance in heavily lossy
> scenarios (otherwise we could regress in some extreme cases)
> - 0004 - convert execGrouping.c, e.g. used by hash aggregates
>

> While not quite perfect yet, I do think this is at a state where input
> is needed. I don't want to go a lot deeper into this rabbit hole,
> before we have some agreement that this is a sensible course of action.
>

> I think there's several possible additional users of simplehash.h,
> e.g. catcache.c - which has an open coded, not particularly fast hash
> table and frequently shows up in profiles - but I think the above two
> conversions are plenty to start with.
>

> Comments?
>

> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund
>
> [1] http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20160923205843.zcs
> 533sqdzlh4cpo%40alap3.anarazel.de
>

> --

This is a great addition.

A couple of comments.

* 80% occupancy is a bit conservative for RH hashing, it works well up to
90% if you use the early stops due to distance. So that TODO is worth
pursuing.

* An optimized memory layout for RH hashmap is along the lines of
HHHKVKVKV, using one bit of the hash as the present/absent flag. That plays
specially well with large occupancies (~90%). Due to RH the probings on the
H array are very short and within a single cache line. Even with a 31bit
hash it's reallyyy rare to have to probe more than 1 entry in the KV array.
Essentially guaranteeing that the 99% percentile of lookups will only hit a
couple of cache lines (if you ignore crossing cache lines and other
details).