Re: Postgres Server crashed

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Akash Kodibail <akash(dot)kodibail(at)onmobile(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Server crashed
Date: 2011-10-10 19:10:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Akash Kodibail
<akash(dot)kodibail(at)onmobile(dot)com> wrote:
> I was hopeful of restoring the data from data files in $PGDATA path. I read this article about PITR using the recovery.conf, But I am not aware of the pre-requisites and not entirely sure about the concept beneath this.

With PITR you set up the system ahead of time to do this. It is not a
rescue / recovery procedure for a broken database. I like Kevin fear
that by starting it back up with an old pg_Controldata you may have
made matters much worse, depending on what autovacuum might have done.

Once you have a backup it's time to start experimenting, and I think
pg_resetxlog is the best place to start.