Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve access to parallel query from procedural languages.

From: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Improve access to parallel query from procedural languages.
Date: 2017-03-27 05:48:00
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 3:34 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> It doesn't seem to be a platform-specific problem: I can duplicate the
>> failure here by applying same settings mandrill uses, ie build with
>> -DRANDOMIZE_ALLOCATED_MEMORY and set force_parallel_mode = regress.
>
> Oh ... scratch that: you don't even need -DRANDOMIZE_ALLOCATED_MEMORY.
> For some reason I just assumed that any parallelism-related patch
> would have been tested with force_parallel_mode = regress. This one
> evidently was not.
>
> regards, tom lane

This is caused because trigger related functions are marked safe and
using global variables, hence when executed in parallel are giving
incorrect output. Attached patch fixes this. I have modified only
those functions that are showing incorrect behaviour in the regress
output and checked regression test with force_parallel_mode = regress
and all testcases are passing now.

This concerns me that should we be checking all the system defined
functions once again if they are actually parallel safe...?

--
Regards,
Rafia Sabih

Attachment Content-Type Size
system_defined_fn_update.patch application/octet-stream 3.0 KB