Re: Wait profiling

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Wood <hexexpert(at)comcast(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wait profiling
Date: 2020-07-11 11:17:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 10:37 PM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020-Jul-10, Daniel Wood wrote:
>
> > After nearly 5 years does something like the following yet exist?
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/559D4729.9080704@postgrespro.ru
>
> Yes, we have pg_stat_activity.wait_events which implement pretty much
> what Ildus describes there.
>
> > 1) An option to "explain" to produce a wait events profile.
> > postgres=# explain (analyze, waitprofile) update pgbench_accounts set bid=bid+1 where aid < 2000000;
> > Execution time: 23111.231 ms
>
> There's an out-of-core extension, search for pg_wait_sampling. I
> haven't tested it yet ...

I use it, and I know multiple people that are also using it (or about
to, it's currently being packaged) in production. It's working quite
well and is compatible with pg_stat_statements' queryid. You can see
some examples of dashboards that can be built on top of this extension
at https://powa.readthedocs.io/en/latest/components/stats_extensions/pg_wait_sampling.html.